My Haft Seen in Montreal! :D
Norooz 1391, my first Norooz away from home!
Eide Hame Mobarak!
I’m wishing all my lovely Persians out there, an amazing new year! May it be full of love and light!
A little fyi about Norooz, the Iranian New Year and the Haft Seen - 7 “S”
Tha haft seen is a cultural tradition of laying out a “sofre” (table) that consists of 7 main items that all begin with the letter “S” that symbolize different things for a new year, there are a few more we like to add as well,
The 7 “S” are:
1. Sabzeh – wheat, barley or lentil sprouts growing in a dish – symbolizing rebirth
2. Samanu – a sweet pudding made from wheat germ – symbolizing affluence
3. Senjed – the dried fruit of the oleaster tree – symbolizing love
4. Sir – garlic – symbolizing medicine
5. Sib – apples – symbolizing beauty and health
6. Somaq – sumac berries – symbolizing (the color of) sunrise
7. Serkeh – vinegar – symbolizing age and patience
A few more we like to add to our haft sin are:
* Sekkeh – coins (prosperity and wealth)
Other items in my table:
- Mirror - symbolizing Sky
- Apple - symbolizing Earth
- Candles - symbolizing Fire
- Golab - rose water symbolizing Water
- Sabzeh - wheat, or barley sprouts symbolizing Plants
- Goldfish - symbolizing Animals
- Painted Eggs - symbolizing Humans and Fertility
- Sekkeh - coins - symbolising prosperity
- A poetry book, such as the Shahnameh or the Divan of Hafiz, or a religious text such as the holy Quran or Avesta
P.S One “S” - Sabzeh is missing from my Haft Seen in this picture but I will post more pictures with it!!!